October 10, 2005

Victoria Marathon

For those who don't have time for details, here is the synopsis:
"Wow, what energy, the adrenaline, the people, the crowd, the noise... (that was first 14 km). Then, this isn't so bad... (second third)... and, approaching the finish: "just remember: pain is temporary, pride is forever"...

Now, for the details:

I got to Victoria Friday night. I met Josianne at her school, where she treated me with a wonderful 1 1/2 long relaxing massage. Together we go to the Marathon Expo and pick up our packages. Josianne had signed up for the half-marathon. It now feels so real, and we are both very nervous. Are we going to hurt? Are we going to finish? On saturday, we try to rest and hydrate as much as possible. We go the movies and go to bed early. Sunday morning, the taxi picks us up on time for us to be at the race start at 6:30. Josianne's take-off time is 7:30. This gives us enough time to take photos, go to the bathroom several times, pin her number on, clip the chip on the running shoe, check her bag in and, again, fret some more. She is very close to the front at the start. Countdown... Go Jo, go....

I then have a whole hour before my start to repeat the routine. I am getting a little cold though, and have to sit down to save some energy for the race. By the time the gun will go off for me, I would have been walking around for 2 hours! After the last pit stop and water intake, I go to the starting line. Wow, the moment I had anticipated for so long is finally here! I stand in the 8 1/2 minute miler group. It still takes me 45 seconds to cross the start line after the countdown! I feel perfect, just the right amount of nervous energy. We are so crowded at first, the pitter patter of the foot steps all around me sound like rain on a tin roof. So much to pay attention to with the crowd that in no time at all we are at km 4. I check my pace, realize I have to hold back, and follow the training plan... I try to find a runner to keep pace with. I spot a funky top woman, which is OK for a while, but she pulls away and leaves me in her dust. So do "no fear shirt", "long grey braid", "arm warmers", "camel back" and many others. I feel strong and really am tempted to stay with them all, but John Stanton's words keep coming back to me: "the first third must feel easy". The first 14 km ARE easy. I up the pace a little. I can't believe the difference it makes. Suddenly, in the distance, i see "long grey braid". I pass her, then, shortly after "camel back", then "no fear shirt", "arm warmers". Cool! After the second 14 km, I check my time. I have cut 5 minutes off the first third. I really miss my running buddies, Terry and Susan. All these impressions and thoughts come to my head, and I have no one to speak to... The last 14 km is a little more difficult, as planned, but steady. I pass hundreds of people, litterally. And then, son of a gun, in the distance, "funky top". I pass her too. By then, though, I start to feel the distance. Thankfully, a friendly t-shirt I pass reminds me: "pain is temporary, pride is forever". I keep that in mind until I reach the finish line, through the last excrutiating kilometer. Then, alas, my name is announced on a loud speaker. I DID IT!! What a thrill, what an accomplishment, what pride. I really have to hold back tears of mixed emotions while a friendly volunteer puts a medal around my neck.

Josianne calls my name from the crowd. So nice to see her. She had gone home and showered and looks so fresh. I load up at the food station and meet with her. My legs are incredibly sore and every step is painful. The feeling of accomplishment is overwhelming, and finally, I can share my thoughts. Josianne has a lot to say too, and we have a lot of fun trying to not interrupt each other. At the award ceremonies we check out the first 5 runners of each category.

For results and stats, check out the website: http://royalvictoriamarathon.com/ I will just brag for Josianne came 9th in her category, in the top 5%.

Pour ceux qui n'aiment pas les détails voici en gros:
"Wow, quelle énergie, l'adrénaline, la foule, le bruit...(1er km). Puis, au 2eme tiers: pas si mal, et, approchant la fin: "souviens toi: la douleur es temporaire, la fierté reste pour toujours"

Et maintenant, les détails:

Je suis arrivée à Victoria vendredi soir. J'ai rejoint Josianne à son école, où elle me fait un bon massage relaxant. Ensemble, nous sommes allées à l'expo marathon, ramasser nos paquets pour la course. Josianne s'était enregistrée pour le demi-marathon, et moi pour le complet. Après tant d'appréhension et d'attente le moment est presque arrivé. Nous sommes toutes deux très nerveuses. Allons-nous finir, allons-nous nous faire mal? Tant d'inconnus!

Le samedi, nous passons une journée tranquille à nous reposer et nous hydrater. Pour nous distraire, nous allons au cinéma, et nous couchons tôt.

Dimanche, le taxi nous ramasse et nous emmène à la ligne de départ à 6:30. Le départ de la course de Josianne est dans une heure, juste assez de temps pour prendre quelques photos, aller aux toilettes quelques fois, mettre dossard, attacher la chip sur le soulier, mettre ses vêtements au vestière, retourner aux toilettes... Compte à rebours... Vas-y Jo, vas-y...

Il me reste une heure avant mon départ pour recommencer la routine. Je commence à avoir un peu froid, mais je m'assoies pour économiser mon énergie. Au départ de ma course, il y aura déjà deux heures que je marchais. Enfin, je vais à la ligne de départ et me mets avec le groupe des coureurs de 8 1/2 minutes/mile. 5, 4, 3, 2, 1, partez! Ca me prends 45 secondes pour traverser la ligne de départ. Je me sens très bien, pleine d'énergie nerveuse. Nous sommes tellement serrés au départ, que le bruit des pas ressemble a de la pluie sur un toît de tôle. Il y a tant à absorber avec la foule, qu'en un rien de temps, nous sommes au km 4. Je regarde ma vitesse. Je dois me retenir et suivre le plan d'entrainement. Je cherche un coureur de mon niveau, mais ils me laissent tous derrière. Je me rappelle les mots sages de John Stanton: le premier tiers dois sembler facile. Les 14 premier km SONT faciles. Au deuxième tiers, j'accélère à peine, mais je sens la différence. Je etrouve et dépasse tous ceux qui m'avaient laissée derrière. J'ai même coupé 5 minutes sur le premier tiers. Mes partenaires de course, Terry et Susan me manquent vraiment. Il y a tant d'impressions à partager, et je ne connais personne. Les derniers 14 km, comme prévu, sont plus difficile. Je dépasse des centaines de personnes. C'est une belle sensasion. Aux derniers km, je commence à sentir la distance. Un t-shirt m'encourage et je souris: "la douleur est temporaire, la fierté est pour toujours". Je me le rappelle, jusqu'à ce qu'enfin, j'entende mon nom à l'arrivée. J'AI FINI! Quelle sensasion, je dois retenir des larmes d'émotions mixtes, lorsqu'une gentille bénévole me met une médaille autour du cou.

Josianne m'interpelle de la foule. Quel plaisir de la revoir. Elle a eu le temps de retourner chez elle, et de se raffraichir. Je me sers à la dernière station de raffraichissements et je la rejoins. Enfin, quelqu'un avec qui partager mes pensées. Nous avons toutes deux beaucoup à raconter et nous nous interrompons avec nos impressions. Mes jambes me font très mal, et chaque pas est douloureux, mais nous nous sentons si fières.

A la remise de prix, nous admirons les premiers cinq coureurs de chaque catégorie.

Pour les résultats et les statistiques voir le site web: http://royalvictoriamarathon.com/ . Je vais simplement ajouter que Jousianne est arrivée la 9ème sur les 178 de sa catégorie, soit dans le premier 5%. De quoi être fière!

No comments: